What is scoliosis?
Scoliosis is where the spine twists and curves to the side. The spine bends from side to side creating an “S” shape. The most affected regions are the lower back and the upper thoracic spine.
Scoliosis is more common in females than in males. Scoliosis is not always noticeable and it is most common in the later stages of childhood or early teenage years when the person is still growing fast.
What causes scoliosis?
Most of the time, the cause of scoliosis is unknown that’s why it’s called idiopathic scoliosis. It is the most common and it’s grouped by age.
· 0-3 years old: Infantile Scoliosis
· 4-10 years old: Juvenile Scoliosis
· 11-18 years old: Adolescent Scoliosis
Other types of scoliosis:
· Congenital scoliosis: This type of scoliosis is present at birth.
· Neuromuscular scoliosis: This type is caused by a central nervous system problem that affects the muscles and the joints.
Picture above: Scoliotic Spine
What are the symptoms of scoliosis?
Adults with idiopathic scoliosis have more symptoms than teens because of degeneration in the discs and the joints. Patients with scoliosis may have a variety of symptoms, some of them could be:
· Low back pain and stiffness
· Fatigue, results from strain on the muscles
· Asymmetric alignment in the body (uneven hips and shoulders)
· Numbness and shooting pain in the legs due to pinched nerves
Diagnosis of Scoliosis
In Physio Pattern Manchester we will confirm a diagnosis of scoliosis after taking a thorough subjective and objective examination.
Physiotherapy treatment for Scoliosis
Physiotherapy is an effective treatment solution for scoliosis and working with an experienced physiotherapist in Physio Pattern Manchester is going to give you the resources that you need in order to achieve long lasting relief and results.
In Physio Pattern Manchester, we will do a thorough assessment in order to find the cause of your scoliosis, we will correct all the imbalances that you might have and your Physiotherapist will support and advice you through an individualised program tailored to your needs
Below you can find the treatment options for Scoliosis:
If you would like more information on how Physio Pattern Manchester can help with this condition, or to book an assessment please call
Or BOOK ONLINE: https://www.physiopattern.com/book-online